Friday, September 5, 2008

Shark Teeth



One day, a couple of months ago, Ethan came up to me and said, "Mom, I have shark teeth!" I had no idea what he was talking about. I guess I hadn't looked in his mouth lately, but there was a whole 'nother tooth just growing away in there! It was behind his front baby tooth so it wasn't even moving the baby tooth out. He had been pretty sad because all of his friends were losing teeth left and right and he didn't even have one loose. No wonder!



So, we tried wiggling the baby tooth to try and get it to come out on its own, but that wasn't working. We had to go to Dr. O and get it pulled. Ethan kept asking me if it was going to hurt. I told him maybe a little, but just for a minute and then your tooth will pop right out. Well, he was all excited because he knew the Tooth Fairy would be coming to our house that night. He was fine with the gas and the needles and everything. When the doctor started pulling the teeth out, it was pretty uncomfortable for him. The roots on those suckers were super long! I guess when there's no tooth pushing on the baby tooth, the root doesn't disintegrate at all and then you get monster roots! All he said was OW, but then he was fine. Until we got outside. He was embarassed to do anything in front of anyone, but when we got outside, the waterworks and the drama started! He didn't stop crying until we got home and I told him I had a surprise for him. Good thing the dentist is only 5 minutes away!

I had bought a little Tooth Fairy kit at Seagull book one day and decided that would be the thing to calm Ethan down. It's a pretty cute book with all kinds of teeth facts and a little tooth pillow to put your teeth in. Ethan couldn't wait to put his teeth in and go to bed! The next morning he came into my room and couldn't wait to show me the 4 quarters he had gotten for his 2 teeth. The Tooth Fairy must have gotten a raise since I lost my teeth! I think I only got a nickle or dime per tooth! Oh, I say "teeth" because there was another shark tooth coming in right next to the other shark tooth. So Dr. O just decided to pull both of them. Two for the price of one, right. We'll see when the bill comes!

2 comments:

The Whetstone Family said...

Awww--poor guy! So funny that he was being brave for other people! And funny that he knew he had shark teeth! Glad it's over with. Looks like a neat book, too. I'm nervous about dealing with teeth coming out! Ben is gonna freak when it happens to him!

Janae -- Thoughts in Vinyl said...

I bet that hurt! I'm glad it wasn't my mouth. Looks like he ended up pretty happy. The tooth fairy pays way better at our house too then it did when I was little too.