Wednesday, April 14, 2010

St. Patrick's Day, 5K, and Rocket Derby, Oh My!

Lots to catch up on once again! I love writing about the things that happen in our family, but I hate finding the time to do it! So, here we go again; a monster post.

First of all, we had a fun time celebrating St. Patrick's Day. The kids didn't want to wear all green shirts, just shirts that had a little bit of green on them so their friends would have to search for the green. Silly kids. So we started the day off with green pancakes, green eggs, and green milk. YUMMY!
Then I made corned beef and cabbage for the first time. It actually turned out super yummy! The kids didn't like the cabbage very much, but at least they tried it. This may have to become a tradition in our family, except I'll have to find a new cabbage recipe.
Then we made cute little leprechaun hats for dessert. So fun! They started out like this:

and ended up like this:

The kids had fun decorating their little hats and delivering them to our neighbors.



Now onto my first 5k. My friend, Jill, decided it would be a fun thing to sign us up to run a 10k in May. So I thought that I would like to at least run a 5k first, just to see if I could even do it and to see if I liked it. It turned out to be very fun and I ran it in 24 minutes! I just kept trying to beat the person in front of me until I was almost at the front of the line.

5K

Here's me and another friend, Janiece before the race:

Jill and I before the race:

And just me, getting a bit nervous:


It was pretty chilly that morning, but it was nice when we got started running and getting sweaty! Here I am coming in at the finish line. It doesn't even look like I'm running! Slacker!

I made it! I'm such a dork!


Here comes Jill:


Jill and I being dorks:

Number 37 and number 56 baby!

It was pretty fun! Now I have to see how I do in the 10k coming up...

Rocket Derby

This year our ward did a rocket derby. I guess our ward hasn't done one of these in a while so things were a bit rusty. Ethan got his packet of stuff about 2 months before the race and he couldn't wait to get started on it. He designed, shaped and painted the rocket so he was pretty proud of it.

He also got to post the colors for the first time at pack meeting.

Then it was time for the races:

It was quite the contraption. Ethan's rocket didn't do so well. He didn't win any races. I think it was because he didn't wind up his propeller enough. Here's his disappointed face :(

So for his last race, I decided to help him and wind it up for him. I guess I wound it up too much because the whole thing broke! I guess I don't know my own strength! Oh well. At least we got astronaut pudding for dessert! Here's Jacob enjoying that part:

Mmmm good stuff! We're still trying to get into this scouting thing. Ethan has already lost his wolf book and I have no idea what I'm doing! I hope we get the hang of it before he gets his Eagle! (if we make it that far...) :)

3 comments:

cynthia said...

It would probably take me 2 years to run 5K!!!!

I wore a green shirt on St. Patrick's day and that's about it!

The Whetstone Family said...

Cute leprachaun hats! And good job on the 5k! I'd probably die if I tried that. The rocket race looks fun. We'll be in scouts in a few months! I didn't even realize they started at 8 until earlier this year, hehehe.

The Yeager Family said...

Fun St. Patrick's Day! I actually forgot it was St. Patty's day for the first time. :(
Congrats on RUNNING! I think you are crazy- in a jealous way.
And cubscouts is intense, huh? We are still figuring it out with Jack. :)