Friday, August 22, 2008

Ethan's First Day of School




Yesterday was the first day of first grade for Ethan. He was so excited, but a little nervous as well. Daddy stayed home for an hour to watch the other kids while I rode my bike with Ethan to school. He's never gotten to school on his own because last year we car-pooled him everyday in the afternoon. I wanted to make sure he knew where to go and where to leave his bike. Plus, he wanted me there as moral support too I think. We went to his classroom, found his desk, and put away all of his school stuff. He looked a little nervous, especially since the kid that was supposed to sit next to him wasn't there yet. He felt a bit alone until he started recognizing some kids that were in his class last year. He looked like he was going to be just fine, so I left. When he got home from school, I wanted to know everything about his day from when I left him, till now. He said he didn't remember! I asked him what his favorite part of the day was. He said lunch and recess! Of course! That was his favorite last year. After that, he thought a bit more about his day and remembered he liked it when his teacher read them a story and they watched and movie about a guy with lots of caps and the monkey kept taking the caps away. That night we talked a bit more and I asked him if he liked his teacher. He said, "Ya, she's nice. She's a grandma. Alex has a cool teacher. She's very pretty! Mine's a grandma." I guess I need to teach him a little more about not judging a book by its cover, even if it's a little older and worn looking! What a kid!

2 comments:

cynthia said...

Wow, what a big boy. It seems like just yesterday he was a baby chewing on green curtians!!!!

The Whetstone Family said...

Yahoo! School! He looks so grown-up! That's cool that he can ride his bike there. Ben is starting first grade this year,too, but unfortunatly he has a couple of shorties for parents so he's one of the smallest!