Friday, August 15, 2008

Happy Birthday to Jacob!






Yesterday was Jacob's first birthday. It was a pretty uneventful day since there are not a lot of things that a one year-old likes to do, or that he can tell me he wants to do, other than eat, nap, poop, and play. So that's what he did all day while I got ready for his party. Since his birthday is in the summer, I thought it would be fun to have a summer birthday cake. I made a picnic table with all of the food and condiments to go with a picnic. It was pretty fun to make, but very time consuming. As I was making the things for the cake, the kids decided they wanted to make stuff out of play-dough. That kept them pretty busy so I could finish my stuff. I also made extra cupcakes for our party guests and a special hamburger cupcake for Jacob.

Anyway, we sang Happy Birthday to Jacob and of course he tried to touch the candle. We've been practicing all week on how to blow through our mouths and he had it down. Then it was showtime and he choked! He just looked at the candle and wanted to touch it. So Ethan blew his candle out for him. Then it came time to eat his cupcake. At first he was pretty careful not to get too messy. Then he just started squishing it with his one pointer finger. Then the whole hand got involved and the rest is history. He just wanted to play in it, not eat it. I thought it tasted pretty good, but he didn't I guess!

Shortly after that, he was done and had enough of everything and we hadn't even gotten to his presents yet. We hurried and cleaned him up so he could open his presents and get ready for bed. After everyone left, we were going to get him ready for bed, and he thought it was finally time to play with his new toys, now that he was alone with no disturbances! So we let him play for a bit and then it was bedtime. I think the favorite part of the day for him was playing with his balloons. They were fascinating! Thanks to everyone for coming and for the gifts. :)

7 comments:

The Whetstone Family said...

Wowzers! I love that cake! Don't you love fondant? It's so much like play-doh!

Anonymous said...

How did you make that cake? You are starting to make me look bad! LOL
Mariko

Shea said...

Didn't we just have these babies yesterday?? Jacob is adorable!

cynthia said...

Cool cake. I'm the one that is jealous for sure!!

Anonymous said...

That is crazy he is alreay 1. The cake looks great...I am very impressed.

Kamilli Vanilli said...

The cake is awesome, takara! I'm impressed, indeed! When did you turn all domestic on me? Can't believe he's one already! And another one a comin'.

The Yeager Family said...

You MADE that cake??? You are truly amazing. I need some lessons!